Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fat Easter



Here's a couple of doodles I did during the Easter. I was quite busy eating chocolate and getting fat, but I managed to find the time to draw a little! I feel like I'm finally beginning to find my style. It's just like everybody has been telling me all along; keep drawing every day and it'll come to you.

I'm trying to start my career as a freelance illustrator, and I feel that it's about time I started marketing myself and getting my work out there. The only problem is, that every time I look at my portfolio I feel like crying. It's not even close to what I want it to be. I think that if I had about fifteen pieces (that I'm happy with and somewhat represent my style and the direction I want to go), I could start e-mailing people. Unfortunalety, that's not the case. So, I'm really going to have to step up my game and start drawing like a madman. I have tons of ideas, so I should get something done soon. I will. I'm optimistic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*I can't get over the fact you draw all that detail in your drawings.. that's insane!(what patience ;)

Like you've heard before.. simply draw your heart out and you'll get a portfolio out of it. You've got a good style, so you'l have no problems.

Those are my thoughts..

Frederik Jurk said...

Ah yeah, when shall we enter the market? I myself would give you the advice to make your portfolio in a way that you are 100% confident in every single piece. There is no sense in promoting yourself with stuff that you don´t even really like yourself. Well, this is coming from a very hard-with-himself perfectionist... but if you keep at it, your folio will get better and better.

Another tip would be to set up a folio with maybe 20 or 25 pics. Each time you do something that´s worth a place in the folio, you sort the worst of the existing ones out. Over time, it will grow organically. And one day, when you´re having a REAL hard time deciding which one to throw out to make place for a new one, that´s your starting signal. And you will have a CONSISTENT folio.

Ah, reminds me that I wanted to start with mine... I am pretty good at giving others advice rather than do these things myself.

And nice new work, patience really is one of your strong sides! Oh, and I got a bit chubber myself. Time for squats again!

Frederik Jurk said...

Er, I meant "chubbier" ;)

Maarit said...

Thank you for the encouragement Ariel. Ha ha, there's a fine line between patience and obsession!

Good points, Fred. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. It's so easy to jump the gun here, and I'm not doing myself any favors if I start promoting myself before I'm ready. And it's surprisingly hard to tell when, especially for me because I never went to school for this. I have never really had the time to develope my style in a (relatively) safe environment, and then of course there are the insecurities of an outsider (well that sounds a bit more dramatic than I intended...). Having a blog has helped me a lot with this though, and I really appreciate your feedback, it helps me more than you know.

Actually, I have been building my portfolio exactly the way you described, sorting the worst ones out of the way, only I have about ten pieces in there now. So I think it'll take me at least a few more months before I can activate my plan to take over the world!