Friday, May 2, 2008

Cats, bags and new addresses



I've drawn a few birthday cards lately. First one is for my sister's 30th birthday, that's her with a Louis Vuitton -bag ready for countdown. She loved it! The other one I drew a couple of days ago for a friend of mine. I'm a bit obsessed with big cats at the moment.

It was a big change to make something that has to be ready as it is, no tweaking or colouring with software (and no undo-button..). I liked it, it forces me to make desicions about the colours and other stuff very fast, it usually takes me forever. Now it's just you and the material, the possibilities aren't endless like with a computer, and the piece comes together very organically. I'm planning to do some water colouring very soon, I'll be posting it if it turns out any good.

7 comments:

Frederik Jurk said...

Well, hello there! I´ve been checking your blog regularly because I didn´t want to think you stopped posting. Good to hear things run smoothly! Also, your primitive peace is a thundering comeback piece - it´s BRILLIANT. Very cool characters, they have a nice, chunky look, and the colours form a good contrast, they really pop out.

I´ve been busy with my own little project, check out more at my blog about it - I don´t want to post every new piece (I have six more pages right now) because that would be taking away the surprise, so I take a little break from posting, but not from drawing and not from reading other peoples blogs ;)

Frederik Jurk said...

"primitive piece", of course, not "primitive peace". Interesting typo, though.

Frederik Jurk said...

Your observations are exactly what I wanted to hear - I indeed tried to mix pseudo-realism with my usual "wonky" approach. At times I wasn´t so sure if it would work out, but now I am pretty confident about it. My favourite professor loves it, and that´s always a good sign ;) Glad you like it!

If you want I´ll send you some more samples, I´ll obscure my mail adress a bit so spam bots won´t pick it up:

frederikjurk ((AT)) googlemail ((DOT)) com

Just drop me a line and you´ll see more pages. As I said, I´d rather not post them on my blog to keep things exciting. As for buying the book, you could also trade one of your original drawings in for a copy :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.