Thursday, June 7, 2007

Evolution


I tried to make the image in my last post more character designy, so I drew the same character twice more doing different kinds of stuff (it's got a little storyline too, but that's not so relevant). It's still not technically very good character design I think, but I wanted this piece to have merit as an individual piece of art too, so it's a fair compromise between the two (I'm not usually a fan of compromise, but now I actually like it better than the original!).

3 comments:

Frederik Jurk said...

Even better. That figure with the bow puts a whole new composition into the image.

Maarit said...

Thanks! Actually the figure you're talking about was very difficult to fit in the composition, but I wanted to keep it because I kind of like it. I had to rethink the whole thing, and you're right, it gives the picture completely new composition.

Frederik Jurk said...

Yeah, the Lindgren project is interesting in the way that we are explicitally meant to interpret her work in new ways, either by illustration some of her lesser-known work, or get something new out of her famous ones.

I bet I could get some mad stuff out of Ronja; and Pipi has some great striped stocking that I could kinda recycle from Pinocchio.

And the painting is going to have some overall Kraftwerk-theme (I guess you know the band?), which is very exciting too. Well, there is a lot of new stuff happening lately, and I am getting to know a lot of new people, so I am having a very good time lately ;)