Monday, August 6, 2007

Björk


I've been feeling like crap for a while now, and I thought I'd draw something violently happy. I've been thinking about making an image of Björk for a long time, and it seemed to fit my agenda perfectly. First I wanted to draw a more or less realistic pencil drawing of her face, and I did a few scetches, but it's really hard to find a good reference picture (although there are literally hundreds of pictures of her in her website, none of them seemed right to me). Anyway, in this picture the face is not really that important, it's very simple and suggestive. But I think it works better in this style.

I'm actually uncharacteristically happy with the end result. Missing... hmm can't think of anything. I know I'm pushing the IF topic again, but I couldn't post last week since my internet connection was down, so if you need a justification, there's one...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could say you were
"missing" in action!

i love this!
so much detail and just
really beautiful.

Alex said...

This turned out quite nicely. Well done.

"I'm actually uncharacteristically happy with the end result."

I definitely relate. It's always funny to me-- when I finish a piece and say "Eh, I don't really like this and this," or "It turned out ok," my loved ones get all defensive about it. "What do you mean it's "ok"?? Pfft."

At this point, my husband and best friend are finally understanding how the process works. I'll be in love with the piece while I'm working on it, then I either stay in love or go neutral--and a few days later I'll hate it, or find it boring.

Such is the nature of the beast.

Focus_ret said...

Nice use of complementary colors. Also this has a delicacy that balances nicely with its boldness.

Anonymous said...

Your drawings are beautiful. Love those wonderful flowing lines, and how they wrap around the forms of your stylized figures.

Anonymous said...

this is awesome!

Eli said...

You may be 'missing' a justification, but I'm glad you posted, it's a great image of a great musician.

Tina Poe said...

Fantastic detail in the patterns. Lovely piece as a whole, it makes me want to keep staring at it.

Frederik Jurk said...

You´ve right with being satisfied with this one. I am a big fan of baby blue tones recently, I wonder where this comes from... I haven´t felt good recently either, without any obvious reason, I am taking natural Hypericum right now. I guess I just can´t cope with subliminal stress very well. I already consulted my doctor and will take behaviouraly theraphy soon. Again, I have no idea where this comes from, since I am pretty satisfied with my life right now.

Anyways, I am picking up the screamingly happy vibes very well right now! It´s not that this is to cheesy or something. It fits the artic aura that Björk stands for. I hope you´ll get through this.

Till then!

Anonymous said...

How do you do create these imgages? They're breathtaking.

Maarit said...

Thank you good people!

The picture is mostly done in Illustrator, apart from a few hand-drawn patterns that I scanned in and added in Photoshop. I find myself using a lot of Illustrator nowadays (it will never replace pencil though!).